Tacos are just the best. You don’t need any utensils to eat them, the ingredients are cheap, and the flavors are just darn good. I’ve made many an overnight taco recipe, as well as the quick ground beef stove top kind, but I had never actually tried my hand at a quick chicken taco recipe that I really loved, until this one.
A deep tomato sauce with the classic taco flavors makes for a sweet and savory combo that is just so addicting. This recipe has the slow cooked flavor and texture of a crock-pot overnight taco recipe, but only takes about 30 minutes to make. If you’re like me and don’t like committing to a meal until about right before you are ready to eat, then this is the way to go!
So let’s get started. Brown your chicken tenders, which I use because they are cheap and cook insanely fast, and mix up your sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken while the sauce continues to reduce, shred it, put it back in the pot, and its DONE! Yes. That is all. Finish them up with diced onions, cilantro, lime, and a slice of avocado. It doesn’t get any easier than that.
If you’ve been subscribing along with me to Degustabox, then you’ll be excited to know that I used three products from the boxes for this recipe! The sauce base uses half of the can of Mutti finely chopped tomatoes (May box) and some Mutti double concentrated tomato paste (April box). I also served the tacos up on the La Tortilla Factory white corn and wheat tortillas (May box). If you haven’t tried Degustabox and want to get a full box of groceries to your door next month, use my link below to get it for only $10! (Don’t worry, you don’t have to be a mom to use the link!)
Thank you to Degustabox for sponsoring the blog post. All recipes and opinions about the products and Degustabox are my own.
Quick and Easy Shredded Chicken Tacos
1 lb Chicken Tenders or Chicken Breasts cut into strips
7-8 oz. Canned Finely Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tbs. Tomato Paste
1 tsp. White Distilled Vinegar
1 tsp. Minced Garlic
1.5 Tbs. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1/4 tsp. Sugar
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
Small White Onion, chopped
Handful of Cilantro Leaves, chopped
1. Mix together your finely chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and sugar in a bowl.
2. In a large skillet, heat your olive oil over medium-high heat. Season your chicken tenders with a little chili powder. Brown your chicken tenders in the pan on each side, about 4 minutes total. Once your chicken tenders are brown, add in the sauce mixture and heat until bubbling. Turn the heat down to low, cover the skillet with a lid, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, or about 15 minutes.
3. While the chicken is cooking, chop up your onion and cilantro to use on top of the tacos. Slice your avocado into thin slices. Slice your lime into fourths.
4. Once the chicken is fully cooked, pull the chicken out of the pan and shred using two forks. Place the chicken back into the pan and allow the chicken to soak up the juices of the sauce. Once the sauce is no longer watery and has soaked into the chicken (about 2 minutes) remove it from the heat.
5. Assemble your tacos by placing some chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Top with the chopped onions, cilantro, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Recipe by Bunny Baubles Blog